3VL molded case circuit breakers up to 1600 A
- The compact design of the SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers coupled with excellent characteristics fulfills the high demands of today's electrical distribution systems.
- These circuit breakers offer a broad product range, improved technology, space savings and easy operation.
- They are available both in thermal-magnetic (16 A to 630 A) and in solid-state versions (63 A to 1600 A).
The use of modern communication-capable circuit breakers opens up completely new possibilities in terms of start-up, parameterization, diagnostics, maintenance and operation. This allows many different ways of reducing costs and improving productivity in industrial plants, buildings and infrastructure projects to be achieved:
- Fast and reliable parameterization
- Timely information and response can prevent plant stoppages
- Effective diagnostics management
The different versions of SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers are suitable for the following applications:
- Incoming and outgoing circuit breakers in distribution systems
- Switching and protection devices for motors, transformers and capacitors
- Disconnector units with features for stopping and switching off in an emergency (main control switches and EMERGENCY-STOP switches) in conjunction with lockable rotary operating mechanisms and terminal covers.
The SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers are available in the following versions:
1. For system protection (in 3- and 4-pole versions)
The overload and short-circuit releases are designed for the protection of cables, leads and non-motor loads.
2. For motor protection (in 3-pole version)
The overload and short-circuit releases are designed for optimized protection and direct starting of three-phase rotary current/squirrel-cage motors. The circuit breakers for motor protection are susceptible to phase failure and feature an adjustable trip class. The overcurrent releases operate with a microprocessor.
3. For starter combinations (in 3-pole version)
These circuit breakers are used both for short-circuit protection as well as for isolating functions, which may be required in starter combinations consisting of circuit breakers, overload relays and motor contactors. These circuit breakers exclusively feature adjustable, instantaneous short-circuit releases.
4. As non-automatic air circuit breakers (in 3- and 4-pole versions) These circuit breakers can be used as feeder circuit breakers, main control switches or non-automatic circuit breakers without overload protection.
They incorporate an integrated short-circuit self-protection system, eliminating the need for back-up fuses.
Standards and specifications
SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers comply with:
IEC 60947-1, EN 60947-1,
DIN VDE 0660, Part 100,
IEC 60947-2, EN 60947-2,
DIN VDE 0660, Part 101.
Isolating features to IEC 60947-2, EN 60947-2.
Disconnecting features (main control switches) according to EN 60204 and DIN VDE 0113. The SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers comply in addition with requirements for "disconnector units with features for stopping and switching off in an emergency" (EMERGENCY-STOP switches) in conjunction with lockable rotary operating mechanisms (red-yellow) and terminal covers.
Please contact Siemens for details of other standards.
The overcurrent releases of the circuit breakers for motor protection also fulfill IEC 60947-4-1, DIN VDE
0660, Part 102.
VL160X to VL400 circuit breakers can be equipped with a SENTRON 3VL RCD module. They then comply with IEC 60947-2 Appendix B.
The SENTRON 3VL RCD module complies with IEC 61000-4-2 to 61000-4-6, IEC 61000-4-11 and EN 55011, Class B (equivalent to CISPR 11) with regard to electromagnetic compatibility.
The SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers are designed for operation in enclosed areas.
Suitable enclosures must be provided for operation in areas with severe ambient conditions (such as dust, caustic vapors, hazardous gases).
The RCD module is designed for retrofitting to the switch. It can also be retrofitted by the customer.
The combination of SENTRON 3VL circuit breaker and RCD module can be fed from the top or bottom.
All SENTRON 3VL circuit breakers with RCD modules are available with auxiliary switches, alarm switches, undervoltage and shunt releases.
Protection of plant and equipment against overload or damage by ground faults (ground-fault protection).
The RCD module trips the circuit breaker through vectorial summation current formation for all phase currents if the vectorial sum of the currents in the poles (= the ground fault current) overshoots the pre-set response and delay time values. AC currents and pulsating DC currents are measured (CBR, design A to DIN EN 60947-2).
Main connections, basic equipment and options
Connection overview and further options
Screw terminal with metric thread for flat connector
Circular conductor terminals/
multiple feed-in terminals
Front connecting bars
O Scope of supply
❑ Optional scope of supply
-- Not available
1) Connecting terminal plate for flexible busbar; not for 690 V AC/600 V DC.
2) Multiple feed-in terminal.
3) Circular conductor terminal also available.